Man Charged for Woman’s Death Rearrested in Kenya

Man charged in Massachusetts woman's death rearrested in Kenya after  escaping custody

Kenyan police announced on Wednesday that a man who was wanted in Massachusetts to face murder charges has been rearrested, just a week after his dramatic escape from police custody.

The suspect had managed to evade authorities for several days, but law enforcement officials were able to track him down and apprehend him once again.

The details surrounding his escape and subsequent recapture remain unclear at this time. However, this development brings hope to the victims’ families and the Massachusetts authorities who have been tirelessly working to ensure justice is served.

The suspect will now be extradited back to Massachusetts to face the murder charges against him.

Escape and Rearrest

Kevin Adam Kinyanjui Kangethe, who was awaiting extradition on a Massachusetts warrant for allegedly killing his girlfriend and leaving her body in a car at a Boston airport, managed to escape from custody.

However, last week, he was able to slip out of a police station and flee in a privately owned minivan. Fortunately, Kangethe’s run came to an end when he was apprehended in Embulbul, Kajiado County, on the outskirts of Kenya’s capital city

Seeking refuge at one of his relatives’ homes, he was arrested on Tuesday evening. Nairobi police boss Adamson Bungei expressed gratitude to all those who assisted in the rearrest of Kangethe.

Legal Proceedings

According to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Kangethe is currently being detained in a high-security prison. This detention is in anticipation of a court hearing scheduled for February 19th, as confirmed by U.S. officials.

See also  NFL Reporter Don Banks Passes at 57 | Obituary and Funeral of Don Banks: Details of him Death - Don Banks cause of death? What Happened to him?

The specific details regarding the charges or reasons for Kangethe’s imprisonment have not been disclosed. However, the decision to hold him in a maximum-security facility suggests that the nature of the case is serious and potentially poses a significant risk.

The upcoming court hearing will likely shed more light on the situation and provide further information on the charges brought against Kangethe.

Suspicions of Corruption

Kangethe’s escape has raised suspicions of corruption within the police force in a country plagued by endemic corruption. For decades, the police force has been ranked as the most corrupt institution in the country.

As a result, the four officers who were on duty at the report office on the day of the escape have been suspended pending disciplinary action and potential prosecution.

According to the officer’s report, a man named John Maina Ndegwa, claiming to be Kangethe’s lawyer, approached the officers and requested to speak with his client.

The officers agreed and took Kangethe to an office, leaving them alone. Shortly after, Kangethe managed to escape while Ndegwa was left behind. Although the officers pursued Kangethe, they were unable to apprehend him. Ndegwa was subsequently arrested.

Background and Arrest

Kangethe, 40, had been detained pending a ruling on whether he should be extradited to face a first-degree murder charge in connection with the death of Margaret Mbitu on Oct. 31, 2023.

Massachusetts State Police said in early November that Kangethe had left her body in a car at Logan International Airport and boarded a flight to Kenya.

Massachusetts officials said they were working with Kenyan authorities to locate him, and he was arrested in a nightclub on Jan. 30 after being on the run for three months.

See also  In the Heart of the NFL Season: Is CJ Stroud Playing Today?

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship

A police official told the AP that Kangethe said he had renounced his U.S. citizenship. The police official, who insisted on anonymity in order speak freely about an ongoing investigation, said if Kangethe were an American citizen he would have been repatriated without a court process.

The court approved a police application for him to be detained for 30 days while the extradition issue was heard.

Mbitu, a health care aide in Halifax, was last seen leaving work Oct. 30 and reported missing by her family. The preliminary investigation showed Mbitu had left her workplace and traveled with Kangethe to Lowell, where he lived, the prosecution said.